Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Definition Of Beauty

Formal Definition: the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind from: Dictionary.com (click to see more definitions)

Extended Definition (my own) : Beauty is a person or thing (being physical or emotional) that creates a feeling of intimidation and discouragement in the viewer.

My Personal Testimony: For example, When I see a model on television or in magazines I find myself feeling unhappy with my own body (discouragement). I started to point out the bad things about myself and the oh so flawless things about the model.
Another example comes from a piece of artwork I examined at the Ball State Museum of Art. It was a huge wall painting and it had captured my eyes. It made me feel intimidated by it. I was intimidated by a piece of artwork, laugh now, but its because it was so intense and I felt like my publications of art were dirt compared to it. I felt like my artwork could never be showcased in a museum.

Allusion:
Personal beauty is a greater recommendation than any letter of reference.~ Aristotle


1 comment:

Nicole said...

you know how much I love Aristotle.